Friday, August 5, 2011

I haven’t had a good rant for awhile, so here it is:


There are hundreds of places to eat lunch in midtown Manhattan.  Hundreds.  They are all basically the same.  Delis with overpriced salads, sandwiches, and soups.  Some of them have make your own pasta.  All of them have chips, a variety of beverages, and candy.  Sprinkled in are a few other places: dollar pizza, Chinese, Mexican, burgers.

Most of the aforementioned foods I cannot eat.  I try to bring my lunch as much as possible, but that doesn’t happen as often as I’d like and as a result I’ve had more create your own salads than I can count.  Today I didn’t bring lunch and I couldn’t eat another salad.  What to have, what to have?  I couldn’t think of anything.  I just wanted a sandwich.  Or a slice of dollar pizza.  But no.  Finally I decided on sushi and then realized I didn’t have any more gluten free soy sauce at work.  Next I decided on pasta from this place that has gluten free pasta.  Turns out it closed down.  I wandered around for half an hour trying to find something I wanted and could eat.

I ended up with lentil soup from Pret A Manger.  As I was eating I remembered that ingredients often change and I should check the site again to make sure their lentil soup was still gluten free.  Turns out, it wasn’t.  Seven dollars and an hour of my time later I was too grumpy to care.  I ate the soup anyway.  No symptoms so far but I’m sure my tummy villi are pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment