Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

Photo from the recipe on allrecipes.com

During the hurricane last weekend I made some easy chicken enchiladas that I found on allrecipes.com.  Do you use allrecipes.com?  If not, I suggest you do.  It's where I get a lot of my recipe ideas.  I altered this recipe a little to make it gluten free and cut down on some of the fat.  This isn't a fancy recipe - there aren't many ingredients, and it's not very "authentic", but it is easy and cheap.  It makes about 10 enchiladas.

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 jars salsa
6 oz fat free plain Greek yogurt (I used 1 container of Chobani)
2 tablespoons cream cheese
3-4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 can pinto beans
10 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, mexican mix, whatever you want)

Directions:
1) Combine 1 jar salsa, yogurt, and cream cheese in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add the chicken and beans.
2) Warm the tortillas, fill with mixture, roll, and place into a greased 9x13 dish
3) Spread the remaining salsa over the tortillas and then sprinkle on the cheese
4) Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees

A note about my recipes:  In general, I am not too concerned with the amounts of ingredients.  The original recipe called for 2 cups of chicken, I had 4, so I used 4.  If you like a lot of cheese, use more cheese.  If you don't like a lot of cheese, use less cheese.  Some recipes require you to follow the directions exactly (mostly in baking), but for cooking, be a bit adventurous (within reason) and hope for the best.  I find this is the best way to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment