Sunday, July 3, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


My mom has taught me many valuable lessons.  One of them is that on the 4th of July you eat Strawberry Shortcake.  Another is that if you know you are going to eat a bunch of cake then skip dinner and have cake for dinner.  So tonight I had Strawberry Shortcake for dinner.

My mom's regular recipe is for pound cake.  This cake is delicious.  I was going to make it gluten free, but then I came across this recipe on GF in the City and decided to try it.

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups GF flour (I used 1 1/2 Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix and 3/4 rice flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup heavy cream or half & half
2 tablespoons melted butter
sugar for the top
whipped cream
strawberries

Directions
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt
Cut the butter into the flour mixture until small
Add the cream or half & half
Divide the dough into 6 pieces and put on a baking sheet
Brush melted butter over biscuits and sprinkle sugar on top
Bake for 25 minutes
Enjoy with whipped cream and fresh cut strawberries

Mine came out a little wider and flatter than I would have liked, so I suggest forming your dough a bit smaller and taller than mine.
  
Dough divided into 6 pieces

Finished biscuit

These biscuits are good as strawberry shortcake, but they would also be good with jelly for breakfast.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment