Monday, July 25, 2011

Gluten Free Potluck and Asian Chicken Salad Recipe

I think I've mentioned before that I'm in the New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Group.  If not, I am.  Sunday night we had a pot luck in a nice building on the upper east side hosted by Delight Gluten Free Magazine.  There were lots of nice people and lots of great gluten free food.  Some of the options were fried chicken and biscuits, Mexican lasagna, calzones, various rice dishes, twice baked potatoes, and a plethora of desserts including muffins, cupcakes, cookies, cannoli, a layer cake thing, and coconut balls.  It was all delicious and I accidentally ate too much.

What did I bring you ask?  Since people were asked to RSVP with what they were bringing I noticed the menu was dessert/carb heavy.  There was a severe lack of vegetables so I wanted to bring something healthy but didn't know what until the day before.  Enter again my friend Morgan who mentioned an Asian chicken salad she had made herself.  Perfect.  It was healthy, delicious, and I think other people enjoyed it as well.


Asian Chicken Salad - (I think the recipe is originally from Bobby Flay?)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon (GF) soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (whatever that means)
1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 lb snow peas, chopped (why is lb the abbreviation for pound?)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts

Directions:
Mix it all together

Ok so it sounds like a lot of work, all that chopping and all, but here's the trick - buy the pre-chopped stuff.  For real.  I bought the cabbage and carrots already chopped/shredded.  All I had to do was mix together the liquid ingredients, cut up the snow peas, cilantro, and scallions, and shred the chicken I bought already rotisseried at the grocery store.  Don't worry so much about how much of all the vegetables to use, just use what you have.  Easy.  And did I mention delicious?

3 comments:

  1. This was really delicious. Thanks for sharing it! Would you mind adding the recipe and link to this post to our message board? I started a thread for all of our recipes from Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is lb the abbreviation for pound? lb is from the Roman unit of mass "libra".

    ReplyDelete