Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gluten Free Saratoga


This weekend I had to go upstate for work.  I needed to be in Glens Falls early Sunday morning, so I took the train to Albany Saturday night, rented a car, and stayed in lovely Saratoga Springs overnight.  My good friend Sean said he’d drive all the way from our hometown in Vermont to visit and have dinner with me.  It was very exciting.

Before leaving the big city I googled gluten free places to eat in Saratoga.  A few sites suggested a restaurant named Wheatfields (unfortunate name for a restaurant with such great gluten free options), which was conveniently located right down the street from my hotel.  I checked out the gluten free menu and decided to give it a go.

With a separate gluten free menu, Wheatfields offers gluten free appetizers, salads, pizzas, pastas, entrees, and desserts.  Sean decided to be gluten free for the night and ordered scallops with risotto off the gluten free menu.  I was torn between that and the rice linguine with bolognese sauce.  I decided to go with the pasta, but since Sean also went gluten free, I was able to try his and they were both really amazing.  Not just amazing for gluten free, but really and truly delicious.  We then split a gluten free chocolate moose for dessert.  It was light, creamy, and just about perfect.

There are several other things on Wheatfields gluten free menu that I’d like to try.  I wish this restaurant was located in New York City.  No wonder there was an hour wait at this place, it is clearly a favorite by gluten and nongluten eaters alike.  If you live in the Saratoga area, or ever find yourself that way, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment