Sunday, April 24, 2011

(Birthday) Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes


My lovely friend Madeline came to New York this weekend to hang out with me for my 25th birthday - which is tomorrow.  Naturally, we had to make some birthday cake.  I wanted to make these cupcakes that I used to make back in college before I was gluten free.  Simple, all I did was switch out the four.  They are chocolate cupcakes with a cream cheese and chocolate chip center, and a cream cheese frosting.  They are just as delicious as I remembered.  I wish my Montreal roommates were here to help me eat them. 

Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour - gluten free all purpose flour for me
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup applesauce
2 cups water
2 tsp vanilla

Filling
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 cups confectioners suger
2 tsp vanilla

To Do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl mix together the flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.  Stir in the applesauce, water, and vanilla.
  • In a smaller bowl beat together the cream cheese, egg, and sugar of the filling.  Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Fill the muffin tins half full with the chocolate batter.  Put a spoonful of the filling in each muffin cup and cover with more of the chocolate batter.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool before frosting.
  • To make the frosting, beat all frosting ingredients together until smooth.

Easy and delicious.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I wish I were there to help eat them too. Are you going to try and make a cake version again? :P

    ReplyDelete