Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pie By The Pound


Friday after work I went to Pie By The Pound for some gluten free pizza.  I had never been there before but it was on my list of restaurants to try.  I'm glad I did.  Pie is a casual pizza place that was full of locals and school children getting slices and free cookies (I'm not sure why they had free cookies, but yay for them).  Their regular pizza is already prepared and you choose how much of each kind you want.  I saw many people mixing and matching.  They make their gluten free pizza to order, so I chose the zucchini and red onion and sat down to wait.  They told me it would be about 10 minutes.

I got wrapped up in my book, but approximately 10 minutes later they brought my pizza over to me.  I got up to get some napkins and overheard a man asking the counter lady who the gluten free pizza was for.  I pipped up that it was for me and a few minutes later he came over with his own gluten free pizza and joined me.  Turns out he is the owner and has been gluten free for six years.  He was very friendly, gave me a slice of his custom order gluten free pizza, and even gave me a free gluten free beer.  His neighbor from uptown also stopped by and the three of us sat and chatted.  It turned out to be a great first experience.  With such a convenient location near Union Square, gluten free pizza that actually tastes good (really good), and such a friendly staff, I will definitely be back to Pie again.

1 comment: