Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm Not A Big Drinker, But...

I'm not a big drinker, but who doesn't like to have a drink now and then?  Most people with celiac disease morn the loss of beer in their lives.  There have been a few times when I, too, have wished I could have a beer in the last six months: the super bowl, an occasional happy hour, sitting on the beach in Mexico.  But normally I'm ok without it.  I was never a big beer drinker anyway.  I'm a vodka girl myself.  And they can't take that away from me.


My 25th birthday was last week and some friends and I went out dancing last night to celebrate.  The "now and then" of my drinking occurred last night.  After making a dinner of pork chops, wild rice, and broccoli, I started on my signature vodka cranberries (plural, sorry mom).  I've started using seltzer and just a splash of juice as a mixer in my old age.  There were lots of drinks throughout the evening and I didn't have to worry about gluten the entire time.  I could have had just about any hard alcohol and been fine - gluten wise, not sobriety wise.  There was a moment leaving the bar last night when everyone went across the street to eat pizza that I slipped into a quick pity party, until I saw a taco truck a block away.  It might have only been because it was four in the morning and I was drunk, but I had one of the best chicken tacos I've ever had there.

I'm pretty happy alcohol generally isn't something I have to worry about on this lifetime gluten free diet.  I've even started drinking wine a little bit, which is now what I have at happy hour instead of beer (I reserve vodka for times I want to end up dancing).  Previous beer fanatics aren't as lucky.  There are a few gluten free beers, but they aren't offered at most mainstream bars.  They also aren't as good.  I'm glad I made this celiac discovery post high school and college though, or else the avoiding beer part would have been much harder.  But with vodka and wine on my side, I'm going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment