I love scalloped potatoes. We had them tonight for Christmas Eve dinner along with some ham, green beans, and creamed spinach. I wouldn't exactly call scalloped potatoes a healthy dish, but they sure are good. This recipe is adapted from this recipe found online.
1 medium onion, chopped
5 tablespoons butter
5-6 russet potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
3 tablespoons rice flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1) In a medium pan saute 2 tablespoons of butter and onions until soft.
2) In a small sauce pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and blend in rice flour.
3) Whisk in the milk. Season with salt and pepper
4) Cook sauce on medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally with the whisk.
5) Reduce heat and stir in onions and 1 cup of cheese.
6) Place a third of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased casserole dish.
7) Pour a third of the cheese sauce over the potatoes, making sure they are all covered.
8) Repeat twice: layer of potatoes, layer of cheese sauce, layer of potatoes, layer of cheese sauce.
9) Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
10) Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!