Sunday, October 30, 2011

How to Hard Boil an Egg


When I was first diagnosed with Celiac my mom promptly ordered me three gluten free cookbooks off Amazon.  They were in my hands and filled with post it notes within a few days.  In Jacqueline Mallorca's The Wheat-Free Cook there is a page in which all she has is a brief description of how to hard boil eggs.  I remember looking at that page and realizing that, at age 25, I had no idea how to hard boil an egg.  I'm so glad I know how to now, and I wanted to make sure you know how to too.

In Jacqueline's own words, here's all you have to do:

Perfectly Cooked Hard-Boiled Eggs
Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil.  Cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let stand for 12 minutes.  The yolks as well as the whites will be firm all the way through, and just right.

That's it.  When the eggs are done I drain the hot water, run some cold water over them, drain that, and then put them right in the fridge.  Cooking up a few on Sunday night makes for a very easy weekday breakfast.  I grab two on my way out the door and eat them at my desk with salt and pepper.  They keep for 3-5 days.

What's everyone else eating for breakfast?  You are eating breakfast, aren't you?

3 comments:

  1. We just got a toaster so I have been able to eat bagels and cream cheese for breakfast again. What might be a gluten free bagel substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few varieties of gluten free bagels, but unfortunately they aren't very good. Gluten free bagels tend to be very dense. I would suggest a gluten free english muffin or toast instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. After years of experimentation I finally worked out how to get consistently good results when boiling eggs http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/how-to-boil-egg.html

    ReplyDelete