Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Halloween and Gluten Free Candy

Candy!
As Halloween approaches I thought it would be appropriate to let you know that tons of candies are gluten free, including most of the good ones.  This is really handy year round, but especially relevant around Halloween.

Halloween brings back the following fond memories of my childhood:
1) Arguing with my parents about not wanting to put a winter coat over my super cool costume

2) Driving from area to area because we lived in the middle of nowhere and trick-or-treating wasn't possible on foot

3) Trying to find an almond joy for my mom and junior mints for my dad (their favorite candies, but not really the most popular Halloween giveaways, so this was always a bit of a struggle)

4) My brother and I dumping our pillow cases of candy on the floor after, sorting out our candy, and then trading (more snickers for me, more milk duds for him)

5) My brother being mean, taking candy that wasn't his, and me crying and/or whining

6) Getting a stomach ache from way too much candy

Ahh the good old days.  Don't worry, I still make a point of eating a lot of candy on and around Halloween.  I've found that adult Halloween parties are heavy on the booze and light on the candy.  I think adults have their priorities all wrong.

And now for the real point.  There are plenty of candies that are gluten free - at Halloween and all year round.  Halloween doesn't have to be yet another time for gluten free children (and candy addicted adults like me) to feel left out.  There is enough safe candy for everyone!

Gluten Free Candy:
3 Musketeers
Almond Joy
Baby Ruth
Butterfinger
Candy Corn
Dots
Hershey's Kisses, Milk Chocolate, Almond, Dark Chocolate, and Mr. Good Bars
Jelly Belly Jelly Beans
Jolly Ranchers
Jr. Mints
M&Ms (all kinds but pretzel)
Milk Duds
Milky Way Midnight or Simply Caramel (NOT regular)
Mounds
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Reese's Pieces
Rolos
Snickers
Skittles
Starburst
Sour Patch Kids
Swedish Fish
Tootsie Pops and Tootsie Rolls
York Peppermint Patties

Obviously Not Gluten Free Candy:
Butterfinger Crisp
Crunch Bars
Hershey's Cookies and Cream
Kit Kat
Reese's Sticks
Twix
Whoppers 

Surprisingly Not Gluten Free Candy:
100 Grand
Lindt Truffles
Milky Way original
Twizzlers

This list is by no means exhaustive, but rather some of the most popular candies.  For an extensive list, I suggest you check out this list I found.  This lady has really done her research.  So has this lady.  Happy candy eating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment